- This event has passed.
Headline Acts | SIFA X: there is no future in nostalgia
May 27 @ 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Headline Acts is a fun and informal reading series open to writers of all experience levels wishing to showcase plays or scenes. The only rule is, each work is a short (10-15 minutes) dramatic pieces that respond to recent headlines.
For this special SIFA edition of Headline Acts, part of Centre 42’s group show SIFA-X: there is no future in nostalgia, we are turning our attention to that special dynamic between new and old, past and future. And so we’re asking all participants to respond to a headline of their choice from 30 years ago – in the year 1993.
6 writers were shortlisted through an Open Call that took place on 1 March 2023. The works they will be presenting are:
- “Sotong” by Kay Lynn Er
- “All Kinds of Time” by Wisely Chow
- “An Examination” by Ivan Choong
- “The Chilli Powder Sisters” by Melizarani T. Selva
- “Kids, Gifts, COEs & Roast Duck” by Irsyad Dawood
- “Is It Because I’m…” by Isaac Lim
The events will be headlined by two invited writers whose careers kicked off in the 90s. Their new works are:
- “The Three Ages” by Jean Tay
- “Motherland” by Very Shy Gurl by fendy
These eight new short pieces are presented across 2 sessions. Acts 1 will take place on Saturday 27 May 8pm, and Acts 2 will take place on Sunday 28 May 3pm.